Serena Williams is one of the greatest tennis players of all time, with 23 Grand Slam singles titles and four Olympic gold medals. She has been a dominant force in the sport for over two decades, inspiring millions of fans around the world with her skill, passion and resilience.
But at the age of 40, Williams is facing a new challenge: her second pregnancy. She announced the news on Instagram in June, sharing a photo of her baby bump with the caption “Round 2”. She also revealed that she is expecting a girl, who will be a sister to her 3-year-old daughter Olympia.
Williams has not played a competitive match since January, when she lost in the semifinals of the Australian Open to eventual champion Naomi Osaka. She withdrew from several tournaments due to injury, including the French Open and Wimbledon. She also skipped the Tokyo Olympics, where she could have added to her medal collection.
So what does this mean for her tennis future? Will she retire after giving birth, or will she make another comeback and chase more records? Here’s what we know so far about her retirement status.
- Williams has not officially announced her retirement plans. She has said in the past that she wants to play until she is at least 40, which she achieved in September. She has also expressed her desire to win a 24th Grand Slam title, which would tie her with Margaret Court for the most in history. However, she has not won a major since 2017, when she was pregnant with Olympia. She has reached four finals since then, but lost them all in straight sets.
- Williams has shown that she can still compete at the highest level after becoming a mother. She returned to the tour in 2018, just six months after giving birth to Olympia. She reached two Grand Slam finals that year, and two more in 2019. She also climbed back to the top 10 of the world rankings, and won her first title as a mom in Auckland in 2020.
- Williams has also shown that she can balance motherhood and tennis. She often travels with Olympia and her husband Alexis Ohanian, who is a co-founder of Reddit. She has said that being a mom has made her more motivated and focused on the court. She has also shared many adorable moments with Olympia on social media, such as playing tennis together or dressing up in matching outfits.
- Williams has faced some health issues in recent years that have affected her performance and availability. She suffered from life-threatening complications after giving birth to Olympia, including blood clots and a pulmonary embolism. She also had surgery on her foot in 2010, which sidelined her for almost a year. She has dealt with various injuries, such as knee, ankle, back and shoulder problems. She has also contracted COVID-19 twice, once in 2020 and once in 2021.
- Williams has many interests and opportunities outside of tennis that could influence her retirement decision. She is a successful entrepreneur, with her own clothing line called S by Serena and a venture capital firm called Serena Ventures. She is also an activist for social justice causes, such as gender equality and racial equity. She is a role model for women and girls around the world, especially for those of color. She is also a philanthropist, supporting various charities and foundations.
In conclusion, Serena Williams’ tennis future amidst her second pregnancy is uncertain at this point. She has not confirmed or denied any retirement plans, but she has hinted that she still wants to play and win more titles. She has proven that she can overcome challenges and achieve greatness as a mother and an athlete. She has also established herself as a powerful and influential figure beyond tennis. Whatever she decides to do next, we wish her all the best and thank her for her amazing legacy.
I'm Elsie, a versatile creative soul - Blogger, Author, Motivational Speaker, Female Guitarist, and a web Developer. Join me on a journey where I share my insights, inspire positivity, and add a musical twist to life's adventures. Dive into a world of lifestyle, inspiration, and harmony, all from my unique perspective. Follow me on my Social Channels below!
- Make MoneySeptember 24, 2023Make Your First $100 Online: A Step-by-Step Guide
- LifestyleAugust 22, 2023Relationship Conflicts:Causes and Preventive Measures
- LifestyleAugust 19, 2023Faded Dreams: How To Activate Them
- LifestyleAugust 19, 2023Everyday Mindfulness: Your Pathway to Clarity and Calm